Some dull drivel with no links

James went shopping today and bought two 'petes de nons'. That's nuns' farts. Yes, nuns' farts. They're small round cakes, like very light, sweet doughnuts. The lady serving him said, "There you are, sir, two nuns' farts," with a straight face.

You can also buy 'tetons' made of chocolate in chocolate shops and bakers. 'Teton' is the French for nipple. This is normal as well.

And you can get little quiches called 'crottins'. They're very nice. 'Crottin' is the French for turd. Angouleme is covered in crottins. (Poitiers, we noticed, has fewer crottins.)

I am trying to formulate an elaborate theory about the difference between French and English attitudes to physicality based on these observations but I haven't got much further than "Weird, isn't it?"

I noticed that England are playing Scotland in the Six Nations so I am picturing Jerome and Dan in a pub and my Dad happily lying on the sofa in our sitting room, cheering England on. I hope England win; it brings my nearest and dearest so much happiness. That's the advantage of not winning very often.

James is copying a drawing he likes. The weather is lovely here. I read a comic set in the future about a genetically modified dog/pig who can talk. He and a party of explorers are travelling through Europe which is now covered by ice and snow. They find the Louvre and wander round. All the objects come to life and talk to them. I feel concerned for the mental health of the chap who drew it, but he is a cartoonist, so I suppose I shouldn't worry too much. Cartoonists seem to approach life in a down to earth sort of way.

I am very excited because the film version of 'The Other Boleyn Girl' has just been released. I hope we can see it. It is my favourite kind of crap book. There was a brilliant review of the film in the Guardian which really captures the appeal of these films. Unfortunately the little picture of a link has disappeared from the box on blogger where you type in the text, and I can't remember the tag for links and can't be bothered to look it up, so I can't link to the story for you. I know it's very important to link your blog to other blogs (well Pete Ashton says it is and he is my blogging guru), but I don't think this applies to me since only people I know would be interested in reading my drivel.

No comments: