The weird world of school songs

(This is probably my favourite post from gremlins online. )

Here's a song we used to sing at school.

I went into a restaurant to buy a loaf of bread, bread, bread,
I wrapped it up in a five pound note,
And this is what I said, said, said:

"My name is Elvis Presley,
Girls are sexy,
Sitting in the back seat, (at this point you gesture your thumb over your shoulder)
Drinking Pepsi."

I have always been very puzzled by this song. Imagine the situation it describes:

Elvis goes into a restaurant.

"I'd like a loaf of bread, please," he says (of course he would speak with a Southern American accent, but I can't represent this, so you'll have to indulge me.)

"We usually do sit down meals, sir," replies the restaurant owner, "but if you'll wait a moment, I'll see if we have any out the back."

He disappears.

"Yes, we do have some bread, sir. Here you are."

Elvis pays.

"Would you like it in a bag, sir?"

"No thanks, " says Elvis, "I have this handy five pound note in my pocket, perfect for wrapping up bread. That'll do fine."

"Very good, sir," says the restaurant owner, slightly surprised, noting that the five pound note is far too small to wrap up even a small roll and wondering whether he should explain the workings of the cash economy.

"By the way, " says Elvis, "There's nothing I find more attractive than a cute girl drinking Pepsi on the back seat of a car."

He leaves the restaurant. "Ha, ha, " he thinks to himself, "That crazy exploit will be recorded in the folk tradition forever."

No comments: