"Blogs," declares Cheerful D, "what a waste of time! Why would I want to read the banal details of people's daily lives? They should keep them to themselves. And Twitter! What's the point of that?! Stephen Fry writes a text message about being stuck in a lift and thousands of people are impressed! Why do they want to know?! I don't care."
Six pairs of eyes swivel in my direction, conscious that I have been blogging for over five years and show no signs of stopping. I try and compose myself to respond in a sensible, balanced, rational way. I feel on the defensive. I don't want to offend or sound aggressive. Each to their own. But this is challenging. I have had two glasses of fizzy wine. Everyone is looking at me. I am trying to put fruit in a pavlova. Annie has beaten the cream too much and we are stuffing lots of fruit on top of it to hide the mistake. Everyone is laughing at our negotiations. And now everyone is wondering how I am going to defend the noble art of blogging. And I cannot multi-task.
The Dutch Squeeze loyally says that I am a great satirist of modern life, then looks at me expectantly. I have to say something but the combination of wine, sugar, and Annie is too intoxicating.
I unwisely attempt to compare tweets and haikus, a comparison, which, as my beloved friend Dan would say, worked much better in my head.
I file the experience in the 'good to blog about' file in my archivist's mind and stuff some blackberries on top of the bulging pavlova.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment