Another weird journey

I get on the train at Smethwick Rolfe St and a man starts talking to me. I think he is on drugs because his irises don't touch his eyelids. He is trying to get to the International Office at the University. I am not worried because there are lots of other people on the train, but I don't want to talk to him, so I answer his questions with the minimum amount of information.

Weird man: "What time does the International Office shut?"
Marv: "At the University? Probably about 5pm. It'll be closed now?"
WM: "When does the term start?"
Marv: "The beginning of October."
WM: What about the other terms?
Marv: "It's usually October to December, January to April, and May to July. Roughly."
WM: "I don't like colleges that don't have courses in teh summer. Are there summer courses?"
Marv: "Yes."

And so it goes on. The train arrives at New St and he gets up. He sees another girl and starts talking to her, probably asking the same questions.

I walk out of the station. A woman asks me where to catch the no 7 or 8 bus. I suggest that she asks in the tourist office, which is fortunately, right next to us.

I arrive in Queen's Moor. It is pouring with rain. I stagger into the Rabbit and Dogs, drenched. A man at the bar grabs a corner of my coat to feel how wet it is.

"Look how wet it is. This lady's soaked. It's torrential, " he exclaims to his mates. He goes to the door and looks out.

"I'm not going anywhere now, " he pronounces. "Sorry about the hands, love," he says.

"That's all right, " I say wearily.

I buy a drink and sit down gratefully in a booth. My tranquility is disturbed by the noise of a young woman in floods of tears, being consoled by a young man. I can hear snatches of their conversation, so I decide to move.

I sit and read a new paper about Birmingham's underground music scene. A man interrupts me.

"Scuse me, is there anyone sitting on that table?" I say that someone was there a minute ago; he's probably gone off to the loo.

"So there's no-one there then?" This annoys me. I hate it when I say something and the person I'm talking to says the exact opposite and expects me to agree.

I agree. The man and his mate sit down at the next table. The table's previous occupant returns and the three clumsily deal with the embarrassment of the situation.

Little Brother and H arrive. I am glad to see them. How lovely and normal they look.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very interesting! Yawn. -james