A /crottin/ is a dropping, or to put it less politely, a turd. However,
there is also a cheese called a /crottin de chevre/. It's very nice.
If something goes wrong, you say '/Merde/' and it's not particularly
rude. I dont' understand this.
You really can say /Oh la la!/ and /Quel horreur/ . I feel like I'm
speaking Monty Python style French when I say it, but you really can.
it's quite normal.
/Putain/, which means literally 'whore', is the sort of pleasant,
friendly insult you might say to a friend, or exclaim when something
goes wrong, or use to emphasise something. A bit like calling your
friend 'an old sod'? I don't really understand this yet.
We went for a walk by the river yesterday. There is a field with a
group of beautiful deer in it. They really are beautiful and elegant.
James cooed at them.
We are trying to speak French to each other at home. It's good to
practise and look up words in the dictionary. Le violon, le
violoncello, but la guitar. Remember that reflexive verbs take /etre/
not /avoir/.
I am feeling a bit weird still but less weird than I felt in December.
My sleep patterns have gone a bit AWOL because I have nothing to do at
the moment. Fortunately my blog posts do not have time stamps on them
for observant people (like Jez) to notice that I am keeping disreputable
hours. Fortunately our friends Y and S also keep disreputable hours, so
they know how I feel and sometimes we can be disreputable together.
James, however, is being very good: rising at 7.30, going to his office,
writing news stories, and rumour has it, starting a new creative story.
I feel inadequate by comparison, but perhaps it would not be good for
him to be married to someone very driven, with workaholic tendencies.
And I did work unbelievably hard for the first 8 months of last year, so
I am trying not to worry, acclimatize, and study French. I am
nonetheless worrying.
The comics festival starts at the weekend. We have bed space if anyone
needs it. I expect lots of James's friends will be in town. I haven't
been to it before. I hope it won't be pearls before swine, in my case.
I have read David B's /Epileptic/ which is very good. I am happily
watching loads of costume dramas. I love costume dramas. We are
working our way through the Tudors, which really is a pile of pants (or
should that be hose, ha ha!) but quite fun. James says that Jonathan
Rhys Meyers has limited acting range but I think he does menacing quite
well. It's worth watchign just for the costumes; there are some
fantastic doublets and tights. The chaps get to strut around in very
long boots. It's a series of scenes of either violence, shagging, or
diplomacy, each lasting 5 minutes at the very most. You don't have to
concentrate very hard. James likes to spot the American actors.
We are eating vegetable soup for supper most days. The veg here is very
good quality.
No comments:
Post a Comment