Ice cream recipe

Here is an opinion for you. We make too much fuss about cooking. Last night, I watched Sue Perkins and Giles Foden? reliving the '80s and rejoicing in the new food culture that began in that decade. While I think this is a good thing, I am lazy and don't like spending hours in the kitchen or learning boring facts about food to impress my friends. Fortunately most of my friends, confronted with information about food, would think it was a bit pretentious.

My solution to this problem is to watch out for recipes that give the best results for minimum effort. I don't mind learning how to do stuff if it means that I can make the same thing successfully over and over again without having to consult a recipe (much). Even better are recipes that don't require a shopping list because the list of ingredients is so short that you can remember it when you're in the shops.

This recipe I think meets all these criteria. it's very difficult to make something horrible out of sugar, yogurt, and fruit. You can make it with any cheap fruit you happen to have lying around. You can use up spare fruit that's about to go off. It is likely to be much better than ice cream you buy from a shop because most bought ice cream in this country is a bit nasty. It keeps. You can take it to your foodie friends who are really good at cooking (hi, Dutch Squeeze) and it will look quite clever, although mixing stewed fruit, yogurt and sugar together and putting it in the freezer is not, in fact, particularly clever.

1 comment:

Dave Shelton said...

I think it's Giles Coren, not Foden.

I'm all for simplicity in cooking too. Buy nice food (good quality, in season, preferably from not too far away) then do as little as possible to it before eating it so as to minimise the chance of messing it up.