The perils of Lord of the Rings fandom

I met a chap at a party last weekend. We started talking about The Lord of the Rings. He said that it was only worth reading it once because it's all about the plot.

You will probably not be surprised to learn that I have read some of The Lord of the Rings in every single year of my life since the age of 10 and I frequently listen to the BBC Radio version in the car. (Once we got lost because the battle of Pelennor Fields was too exciting.)

So I wasn't sure how to respond. I had to point out that the Battle in the Prologue does not take place in Rohan, but in Mordor.

Clearly my cocktail smalltalk needs some work before I can really win friends and influence people. Unless they like The Lord of the Rings already.

No comments: