I thought i might talk about subject indexing in archives, but I can't be bothered

I worry about subject indexing a lot. Here are some of the concerns I have about subject indexing an archive.

1. Archives are described hierarchically. Which level is best to use for subject indexing?

2. A subject term may apply to some documents in a file and not others. This is all very well if every single item is referenced individually, but a lot of descriptions are summaries. I don't think it's helpful to subject index documents in a file unless they are referenced.

3. Gosh this is dull and I can't even explain it very well.

4. I wish we could represent hierarchical descriptions online in a more intuitive way.

5. Maybe I should change careers.

6. I think I'll have some more chocolate.

7. I think I'll go and annoy James.

No comments: