Gremlinaciousness isn't all bad

The Fadesmobile is sold and gone.

I rang up and cancelled the car insurance.

"May I ask why you are leaving DodgeCo Insurance?" asked the chap at the call centre.

"We've sold our car," I said, "We don't want to run a car any more" - an answer which is the conversational equivalent to playing an ace of spades in whist.

"Oh," he said, with some satisfaction, "I'll spare you the speeches, then."

We live in a world where people are employed to say loads of stuff they don't want to say to people who don't want to hear it. I always enjoy the moments when we are allowed to admit this.

Scene: a famous high st record shop. Marv is buying a CD.

"Would you be interested in our store card?" asked the cashier.

"No, thank you."

"OK," he said.

"Don't worry," I added, "I know you have to do your upselling."

He grins.

Scene: a famous clothes store. A young man is standing at the door, greeting people as they come in.

I can't remember how I got into conversation with this man, but somehow I did. During the conversation, I suggested that it must be rather dull standing at a door saying hello to people all day for no reason. He grinned, with some relief, and shook my hand (!)

No comments: