James and I and James's chum (also to be my chum, I hope) Y went to Tai Chi together last night.
It is slightly scary being taught Tai Chi in French. We arrived in the nick of time and I didn't have time to tell the instructor that my French is not very good. But I got the gist of the instructions.
I have to say that I rather like Tai Chi. It is very important to do everything slowly. That's slowly. I very much approve of doing things slowly.
Everything went swimmingly until the instructor decided to demonstrate fighting with me.
"Move your elbow!" he said, in French! (the French word for elbow is 'coud' but I didn't know this)
"Move your elbow!" he said again
"I am sorrys,' I say in my limping French. 'I am English. My French is nots verys goods'
'Oh, he says, 'ha ha. I did not know'.
'It's the French against the English. Like the rugby' I say in French.
I demonstrated Tai Chi moves and made a joke at the same time. I am quite impressed with myself.
In other news, I now have a French Sim card in my phone so my english number won't work at the moment.
Still feeling a bit scared. But this is normal. 'C'est normale', as everyone says here to be polite.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment